

Jim Augustus, who was Bob's best man at our wedding had requested that I make a quilt for him to hang over his fireplace. His request was that it be in greens and browns. Since Jim has worked for years at the steam train near Yosemite I decided to use that as inspiration. The quilt is 42"x105" and depicts Yosemite Falls. I created it out of hexagonal blocks all cut from the same fabric and then rearranged to make the picture. Jim and Nichole had shown it off at their Christmas open house party but it didn't really hang right. So I went over on Sunday, sewed a second sleeve on the bottom and slid a piece of rebar into it to weight the quilt enough so that it hangs much straighter. Thanks to Cindy's advice, I also pinned it in a few places to the wallboard behind it. On that same day, Jim and Nichole adopted a neighbor's dog because the neighbor had passed away. They were already well acquainted with Miss Kitty and very fond of her. You can see she's an old dog, maybe 12 or 14, but she has a sweet disposition. She's acquainted with Jim and Nichole's cat, another Miss Kitty, and they got along just fine on her first day in the house. I took a little photo to mark the occasion of the dog's new home. - Jeanie
2 comments:
This is a spectacularly creative use of One Block Wonder hexagons! Excellent. Don't forget I want to see close up pictures. I'm impressed with the creative way you came up with to ensure that the quilt hung the best way possible.
Wow Jeanie...another beautiful piece of art!
Post a Comment