Thursday, June 16, 2011

Memories May be Beautiful...

Remember the white ice cream bags we used to get. When you saw a rectangle box in a white bag with blue writing you knew good things were coming.

Remember the fire hydrant on our property on Ellen Street and the pyracantha berries under the front window?

Remember bologna sandwiches with mayonnaise?

Remember feeding the animals Friskies?

Remember Nate Bryant's car that was cola brown?

Remember when President Kennedy died? I remember dad saying he couldn't believe Jackie was going to walk behind the hearse. I kept thinking, now why would Jackie Hoelscher do that and how did she know the president?

Remember Rick Starcher in dad's bright striped robe chasing kids away...what was that story again?

Remember eating peaches from the garden that were still warm?

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

Wow! Some of those I remember and some I don't. I bought a car Nat Bryant owned, I think. It was a blue valiant.
Remember making lemon or peach ice cream?
Remember Dad eating figs right off the tree...and trying to get us to eat them, too? Now I know how good figs can be and how hard it is to stay ahead of the birds to get ripe figs from the tree...

Julia said...

I have eaten fig sauce on a burger at a great restaurant but I can't do more than that. Yes, I remember both ice creams. At least you and I read the blog. Do you remember that Nat'S mother Marcella was from Merced? Hard to say why I can remember something vague like that but not what I had for dinner last night.

Jeanie said...

No, I don't remember that she was from Merced and I don't think I ever knew her name was Marcella. I can't remember hearing anything other than "Mrs. Bryant." Fig sauce on a burger sounds like a strange place to start with figs, unless there was feta on it, too...I eventually tried fig newtons and found I liked them. Can't say I've ever bought a fig though.

Franny said...

Loved the memories - cannot do the figs though. do you remember taking plugs of grass from the backyard and planting them forever in the area that was the garden to get grass started there? do you remember playing baseball in the court with Albie's transistor radio sittin on the brick boarder broadcasting the baseball game? do you remember all the candy in the shoebox above the stove at the Hoelscher's house?

Julia said...

There was candy in the shoebox above the stove at Hoelschers? NOW you tell me! Actually I wasn't there much just one summer when I was friends with Vicky. But I do remember where we kept the chocolate chips in our house and climbing on the counter to get them. Do you remember when we watched the crane but the steeple on the Presbyterian church? Do you remember them making a cornerstone box and all our names went in it when they built the sanctuary? Do you remember Clint Passage making all the stained glass windows for that church? Do you remember the tiny grocery store where Jack in the Box is now and walking over there between services?