Sunday, October 12, 2008

Homemade Tootsie Rolls

This week I made tootsie rolls with my students. They came out very well and were pronounced to be "better than the ones at the store". Can't get a higher rating than that! I decided to make some for Chris since he and Amelia are stopping by later today. Make some yourself and enjoy!
HOMEMADE TOOTSIE ROLLS
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 square unsweetened chocolate1 tbsp. butter1/4 c. dark Karo syrup1/4 tsp. vanilla1 1/4 c. (or more) powdered sugar1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. powdered milk
In glass bowl, microwave chocolate and butter until melted at 50 to 75% power. Stir in syrup and vanilla. Microwave at 100% power 1 minutes. Add dry milk and 1 cup sifted powdered sugar. Stir well. Knead on waxed paper until smooth, using sufficient powdered sugar to make pliable, easily-handled dough. Divide dough into tablespoon-sized balls, then roll into strips. Cut like tootsie rolls. Wrap individual in plastic wrap (I used waxed paper), if desired. Store covered in refrigerator. Mine never have made it to the fridge!

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Tootsie Rolls, yum!! Looks good and sounds do-able. Thanks!

Ben and Alli said...

I remember when you made these a LONG time ago. They are super yummy!